Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Letting Go

Discipling is an interesting business.  It is a risky business.  It is difficult to know what exactly my role is sometimes.  I have some wisdom.  I can be awfully right at times.  I can be awfully wrong too, but I think I try to keep with simple wisdom that is not too controversial.  Like, if you follow this advice, and it ends up not having been ideal, you're no worse off for having followed it. 

I don't think Jesus ever flat-out told someone how to live their life, or if He did, I'm not sure He stalked the recipient to make sure His advice was followed.  He seemed to be pretty chill about His followers, like, maybe He knew it would all be okay in the end.  Maybe He knew that if His advice was disregarded, it would still result in a good learning experience.  You've gotta know that Peter went His own way enough times.  He certainly seemed like a stubborn know-it-all.  And before Jesus went back to heaven, he told Peter that when he was old, He would be led where He didn't want to go.  Maybe it was a rib at Capt. Stubborn-pants.  Or maybe Jesus was saying something like: "Between now and your death, you'll get away with a lot of junk that you want to do, but when it's time to go, you're going My way." 

Don't get me wrong: Jesus certainly told people how to live, but His advice came with a lot of freedom to make a variety of choices along the way.  It wasn't like: "Hey - don't date her." "Hey- you have to be an engineer."  It was more like: "Love people, and do good to others."  "Put Me first."  We trip-out often over the notion that there is one plan for our lives and if we miss it, we missed it.  And made God mad.  Or disappointed Him.  I don't think that is how God is. 

The issue is: how do I get myself to be like God?  How do I relax in His sovereignty?  How do I keep from freaking-out or feeling rejected when my (100%) godly advice is ignored?  I guess I need rest.  My flaw (one of them) is control.  I like helping people.  I like being right.  Bad combo.  People are not pieces on a chess board or ingredients in a spinach alfredo lasagna.  Everything is not formulaic.  I need rest.  I need to rest in the Holy Spirit's ability to lead people into God's best.  I need to let the Holy Spirit lead ME into God's best.  I need to laugh and know God really is God. 

Hey God - if you need any help, I'm here... or maybe

Hey God - have a good time with that.  I'll be over here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment